Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Big Intro

Welcome to my blog. My name is E, and I am a mechanical engineering major with an interest in energy conversion technology as well as environmental remediation. Specifically, I have a proclivity in finding the best way to create a society that is not only sustainable but also handles chemical disposal in an appropriate manner i.e. not dumping into our finite fresh water supply.

I would be naive to assume that this can be done with only technology. In a world with a rapidly increasing population base, compromise and input from others is paramount to achieving such ends. A shift of society to one with a stronger scientific base requires the fusion of technology, economics, culture, and of course policy. Thus, the reason I am taking this course is to understand the inner workings of policy, so I can make more informed choices when designing technology to fulfill the aforementioned aims.

Ultimately, as much as I would like people to see how resource depletion can lead to famines, wars, and water issues, I understand that policy has to be altered in order to enact quicker solutions. That way there would be less red tape than one would encounter with patents and trying to push designs through a corporate accounting office. The only faster way would be a mass campaign, creating a new Enlightenment of sorts.

Along with the above reasons, I am also in this class for a sweet trip to DC since I like to travel, and not having to drive would be a cool change of pace. We hear and see the lawmakers, policy makes, advisors, etc in Washington do their thing. However, to actually be in that environment will give me a better feel as to what one would encounter in the making of policy. So, if I was ever to decide to get involved in policy, I would not be too much like a deer in headlights (well not as bad!).

Personally, I am hoping for a semester full of lively debate, laughs, and an education on an aspect of government that most do not understand. I hope to learn plenty from everyone in the class, and that we can make a new policy to stabilize the IST building better for the next earthquake!

No comments:

Post a Comment